Sunday, October 23, 2022

PEARL #5 - Review

 

It’s been a rough week of comic book reading, people. I don’t buy everything that comes out. I like to pick and choose and what I like to pick and choose are titles that I think are going to be great if not downright wowzarooni. So if I’m reviewing it I bought it thinking it had a chance to be downright wowzarooni. Sometimes things start out wowza and turn bozo really quickly. Hey, it’s not easy telling a compelling, yank you right in and hook your soul, type of story. But these are the pros, they’re being paid to do it. You stroll up to that comic book plate and knock it out the park, that’s your job. You might swing and miss but if you’re going to do that do it gloriously by swinging for a concept with all your might. If it fails it fails, but you went for it.

 

At any rate, I had a bunch of comics lying around and I needed a sure shot. I needed one to pull me out of the comic dung heap that has been this week. Remind me why I traipse back and forth to my LCS to get a form of media that many want to see become obsolete. They want a digital world with digital art and digital eyes that read and pay for digital things at the same time. Show me some words and sequential art that I can point to and say ‘Here, this, this is why we put up with four and a half thousand Bat Books and a Marvel Dumpster Fire every month’. I picked up Pearl #5.

 

Right from the get go you realize you’re in the presence of greatness. I mean, Michael Gaydos is absolutely murdering the art in this series. Brutal as the brutal Yakuza assassins he’s been tasked to draw. Page one and Boom! There’s a tattoo of someone’s entire back, full page, staring at you and it’s bananas awesome. The rest of the issue just gets better and the paneling layout is sublime. The full page action sequence with Pearl on pages 8 & 9 is off the rails. Gaydos has officially entered the ‘Whatever the hell you draw I will buy’ conversation. That’s a small conversation in a tiny booth in the back of a club with an eye popping hot server in sequins that will take your rare loose leaf oolong tea order.

 

Bendis has also been clicking on all cylinders. His ability to jump back and forth in time and still keep everything cohesive has been masterful not to mention the fact that he’s got a fully fleshed out cast of characters and a world that could support 100 issues if he wanted. The interlude with ‘Boyfriend video confession’ is a palate cleanser until the 'oh shit cliffhanger' that sets up the grande finale. I can't find anything off about this issue, it's just what the Comic Proctologist ordered

 

This is how comics should be done. Again, I don't know why it's only six issues. For God Sake keep it going; make it an ongoing series. Pick up it's option, give them an office, a Zoom Pro account, something! After suffering through that Kevin Smith caca earlier this week it's the least you can do Dark Horse. Like I dunno, do you like making amazing comic books? Oh and take notice Big 2. You’ve been taking too many number twos. Original Number One Bad Ass Takaka, the Ghost Dragon, should set her sites on your offices next. We can only dream.

 

Who woulda thought that an Albino Tat Chick from Frisco who becomes a Yakuza Boss in Training would be one of the best series of the year. Get your hands on all of them and thank me when you're done.

 

Rating: 9.8

Verdict: Pull

No comments:

Post a Comment

WONDER WOMAN #7 - Tom King vs DC (The Supes is a Wuss Battle)

  There is so much to unpack in this issue, I don’t even know where to begin. What is clear, is that this is no ordinary...