Friday, June 30, 2023

June '23 Reading Round Up

 

As my pull list dwindles to close to single digits due to what seems to be an inordinate amount of mind boggling unreadable drivel being offered by the Big 2, I find myself cherishing the few comics that do bring me joy on a monthly basis (or whenever the hell they get one out basis, looking at you Saga).

I've written about how after finishing 'Avengers: War Across Time' that I now yearn for a return to the books of old when plots of books with heroes in tights and shiny metal get-ups were simpler and the execution was flawless. Will Marvisney or DC issue a complete facsimile run of their greatest titles of the 60s and 70s? Highly unlikely, but ya never know. There's still great stuff out there geekazoids! You just have to dig a little harder and assume that you're gonna pick up a bunch of duds in the process; unfortunately the duds may cost close to 10 bux.



Are you reading Love Everlasting? Why not? You like comic books right? Tom King’s brilliant second arc is turning this series into what might be his masterpiece; it’s that good. I did see that he was taking over Wonder Woman. Unfortunately, all his DC Superhero stuff has been really disappointing. I haven’t read Double Dubs in forever. Last time I did was during Azzarello’s and Chiang’s unbelievable genius run. When was that like 12 years ago? Based on this title I might give King a pass for his past and see if he can transfer the glory of this book over to the invisible jet babe.

 


After Bendis’ walloped a homerun with last year’s ‘Pearl’ I’m on board with anything that has his name on it, at least until I’m not. I didn’t know this Murder Inc. was a thing and had dropped a bunch of story stuff several years ago. As far as I can tell the Mob runs most of the US and two immensely attractive Mob tools are summoned to the Vatican by the Pope who looks like Da Brat during the 90s. Sure, why the hell not?

 

 

 

 

I've said this before but it bears repeating, we should all be thankful that we were alive when Saga was releasing single issues. What a treat it is. Saga is more than a comic it's a cultural event. What other comic in history brings so many disparate personalities under one roof that is a letters column. I mean hell, somebody proposed to his girlfriend in a letter in one recent issue and in the latest issue she wrote in and said that she said yes. [In my gruff movie preview voice] In a world where comics suck ballz and eat away at your debit card. Where heroes are written by suckas and ten dollar books hook you in and then get deez nutz all the live long day one comic said, yeah fuck that, one comic rose above the dreck and brought the ruckus to all you Big 2 Mofackus. Not Chana Sag. Not Saggy Aftra. Saga. Sahhhhguhhhhhh.
 
Here's what else I got into this month:

 

 



That's it people, Happy 4th! I will be living through a veritable war zone in LA as people literally plaster the skies for hours with explosives. Anybody have any doggie earmuffs send 'em my way!




No comments:

Post a Comment

WONDER WOMAN #7 - Tom King vs DC (The Supes is a Wuss Battle)

  There is so much to unpack in this issue, I don’t even know where to begin. What is clear, is that this is no ordinary...